Mark Hackett Chief of Investment Research, Nationwide Investment Management Group
Mark Hackett is the Chief of Investment Research for Nationwide’s Investment Management Group, bringing more than 20 years of experience in the asset management industry to the role.
In this role, Mark is a leader for Nationwide’s capital markets analysis and thought leadership initiative. He is responsible for developing content to educate financial professionals and their clients on financial markets and implications for investors. Additionally, he develops asset class research, market commentary, white papers and topical market collateral. His strong skills and work have been featured in numerous financial publications and webinars, including CNBC, NY Times, Washington Post, ABC News, CNN Money, AP, BuzzFeed, IBD and Cheddar and others.
Mark refined his skills in the industry from his prior research roles and holds a FINRA Series 7 license. Before coming to Nationwide, he completed research for both Nuveen and Vanguard Group and also served as a Portfolio Manager for Nuveen.
Mark is a graduate from the University of Richmond, earning his BBA in finance and economics. He also holds Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and Chartered Market Technician (CMT) designations.
Articles by this Author
- Fed rate hikes: Cause for pause?
- Risks lurk under stocks’ calm performance
- Investors are still pessimistic, but emotions aren’t driving the markets
- Focus on the long term to counter the bull-bear split
- Cycle Watch | May 2023 Growth slows but no recession yet
- Is this the “calm before the storm” for equities?
- Small caps: Near-term risks vs. long-term potential
- Markets move sideways in search of a catalyst
- What comes after the Fed pauses rate hikes?
- Markets resilient in face of slowing fundamentals
- Bond markets not troubled by recession talk
- Markets calm ahead of a surge in earnings releases
- Staying resilient when a financial crisis strikes
- Markets calm heading into critical earnings season
- Cycle Watch | April 2023 Market stress raises recession worries
- Equity markets calm as macro uncertainty climbs
- Can fixed income rally?
- Earnings revised downward as uncertainty lingers
- Markets surge despite continued uncertainty
- What the Fed balance sheet can tell investors
- Market remarkably resilient given banking sector challenges
- Market turmoil flips Fed script
- Equity market resilient in the face of banking industry pressure
- Inflation’s impact on the stock market
- Banking system fears causes sharp bond market reaction
- Cycle Watch | March 2023 Economy too hot for the Fed
- Rising bond rates blunt stocks’ allure
- Markets calm ahead of a wave of market-moving news
- Help clients prepare for a pending recession
- Markets pause as Fed expectations pivot
- Immaculate disinflation: A long way to lower inflation
- Can the stock rally withstand rising rates?
- Markets pause as geopolitical tensions rise
- Cycle Watch | February 2023: Economic activity weakens
- The “January omen” for stocks
- Good News is Bad News: Encouraging Macro Economic Data is a Risk for the Market
- Is Big Tech’s dominance over?
- Rally continues as investors hope for a soft landing
- A good time for a risk check-up
- Markets pause on investor confusion
- The good, the bad, and the volatile
- Cycle Watch | January 2023: Putting off a recession for now
- Why volatility matters when investing
- Markets start the year strong on soft-landing hopes
- 2023 economic and market outlook: The narrative shifts
- Equity markets remain in a volatile trading range
- Cycle Watch | December 2022: Growth amid uncertainty
- Better watch out for the “Santa Claus rally”
- Investors Eagerly Await CPI Report and FOMC Meeting
- Market volatility shouldn’t derail retirement goals
- Market Bounces from Universal Pessimism
- A retail conundrum: strong spending defies weak earnings
- Markets continue higher, though protests in China threaten to derail the recovery
- Markets pause as investors contemplate positioning into year-end
- Crude awakening for earnings season
- Bulls take control in a historically strong market bounce
- Cycle Watch | November 2022: Higher rates hold down growth
- Markets cheer the end of midterm uncertainty
- Bulls seek to gain control as midterms approach
- Investors pivot to value stocks amid tech rout
- Markets attempt breakout on technical factors
- Reading the volatility tea leaves
- Manage client expectations through the midterms
- Markets attempt a bounce on encouraging earnings
- Watch: Insights on the upcoming midterms
- Markets unable to sustain a bounce with sentiment at historic lows
- Cycle Watch | October 2022: Recession warning signs
- Investing strategies for bear markets
- A wave of fundamental data will drive the next move for markets
- Market performance after midterms
- Markets hit low of the year as growth concerns increase
- Markets retest lows as pessimism surges
- Time in the market, not market timing.
- Earnings under pressure from a potential global slowdown
- Cycle Watch | September 2022: Uncertainty prevails
- Emotional swings continue as the FOMC meeting looms
- Stock investors gauge risk ahead of midterms.
- Home is where the expenses live
- Momentum stalls as the investors are becoming convinces of the Fed’s resolve
- Play the long game to outlast inflation
- Markets stall as investors are reminded about the continued headwinds
- Stock bulls vs. bond bears: Who comes out on top?
- Cycle Watch | August 2022: Recession tug-of-war
- Shifting sentiment continues to drive market rebound
- Is this a new bull market or a sneaky bear market?
- Market bounce continues as sentiment improves
- Recession perception meets reality with inflation psychology.
- Shift from inflation to growth fears has driven equity market rebound
- Will steep interest rate hikes cause a recession?
- Does the national debt affect economic growth?
- Are markets bottoming or stalling before the next leg lowers?
- Cycle Watch | July 2022: Inflation threatens the expansion
- Markets get real about returns
- Markets bounce, though trends remain difficult
- Where does the bear market go next?
- 2022 Mid-Year Outlook | Markets face mounting headwinds
- Markets stage impressive bounce as focus shifts from inflation to growth
- Is the strong jobs market too hot to handle?
- Stagflation: Causes and consequences
- Cycle Watch | June 2022: Investors fret over recession fears
- Risk-off environment accelerates on increasing growth concerns
- Historical losing streak as market nears bear market
- How long will higher inflation “stick” around?
- Investors seek a bottom as sentiment collapses
- Cycle Watch | May 2022: Economic cross-currents
- Has the “Fed put” vanished?
- Rising rates and inflation continue to weigh on equities
- Stock leadership shifts as interest rates rise
- Weak investor sentiment drives “risk-off” approach
- Cost pressures beginning to impact consumer behavior
- Market rebound reflect interested, yet nervous, investors
- Rising inflation expectations challenge the Fed
- Cycle Watch | March 2022: War fogs the outlook
- Inflation pressures escalate on rising commodity prices
- Commodity pressures next hurdle for markets
- Markets react to risks of rising global conflict
- Global risks wobble markets
- Bond investors get emotional
- Families feel inflation sting
- Correction concerns
- Value stocks closing the gap
- Growth under threat
- Markets pressured by Omicron surge
- Look at alternatives to seek income goals
- The Omicron variant challenges the “buy-the-dip” mindset
- Are markets setting up for year-end rally?
- Cycle Watch November 2021: Supply chains hold down growth
- Will tapering tame the market?
- Markets at record levels despite persistent inflation pressure
- Preparing for financial crises
- End of an era for equities and bonds?
- Cycle Watch October 2021: U.S. economy braces for headwinds
- Bulls return on earnings optimism, though challenges persist
- Inflation: How transitory?
- The latest market concerns for investors
- Earnings expectations under pressure
- Inflation concerns continue to weigh on equity and bond markets
- Household wealth at record levels
- Investors uncertain as economic and earnings headwinds emerge
- Not all inflation is alike
- Sentiment shift leads to market weakness
- The international opportunity: Post-COVID portfolios
- Predicting rates remains difficult
- Market at record highs as August marks seventh straight monthly gain
- Will the Delta variant derail the recovery?
- Bulls and bears in tug of war as uncertainties loom
- Insights in Action: Risks on the Radar
- Resilient markets face headwinds to growth
- Markets grind higher despite signs of global slowdown
- Cycle Watch August 2021: Expansion mode
- Insights in Action: The D.C. dilemma
- 5 more months of relief for student loan borrowers
- Market at record high despite delta variant concerns
- U.S. economy returns to growth mode
- Markets pause as investors weigh the catalysts for the next move
- Uncertain investors seek comfort in tech heavyweights
- Investors continue to buy the dip despite the COVID-19 resurgence
- Politics continues to affect sentiment
- Markets pause on a rebound in cases
- Companies ready to put cash to work
- Record high equities embed optimistic assumptions
- Cycle Watch July 2021: Keeping pace
- How long could the current rally run?
- Markets at record levels as individuals are aggressively buying equities
- Cost-cutting firms continue to spend on technology
- Markets surge to record highs as Fed fears ease
- Markets remain reactionary to Fed policy
- More than meets the eye in rising inflation
- The S&P 500 hits record high despite surging inflation
- Small business recovery lags the broader economy
- Markets seek to break out of tight range as volatility fades
- Is central bank support coming to an end?
- Markets look to reach new highs as investor optimism returns
- Are enhanced jobless benefits holding back growth?
- Markets in holding pattern, awaiting next positive catalyst
- Are record job openings signaling rising inflation?
- Inflation fears are an increasing challenge to equity markets
- Concerns rise over tax increase proposals
- As market rally matures, eyes remain on Fed
- Retiring workers push pension allocation changes
- Markets stall as the calendar shifts to May
- Strong earnings not driving stock rallies
- Millennials warm to stocks but remain wary of risk
- Markets at record highs as earnings surprise to the upside
- Economic growth staging an impressive surge
- Reopening momentum drives markets to record highs
- Equity markets try to maintain momentum from strong first quarter
- Happy anniversary to a remarkable rally
- Markets at record highs as infrastructure debate begins
- Stocks riding a tailwind from record fund flows.
- Equity markets stall as investors await rate commentary from Federal Reserve
- Fresh stimulus pushes federal deficit higher
- Improving economy and stimulus drive markets to record highs
- Younger investors get more interested in stocks
- Markets remain volatile as economic data inflect higher
- Rising rates may not derail stocks’ current run
- Rising rates continue to impact investor confidence
- 2021 outlook: What to watch for
- Signs of confidence in stocks’ impressive recovery
- Markets stall as investors focus on inflation and interest rates
- Will rising inflation derail the economy?
- A long road ahead to return to normal
- Markets surge to record on encouraging earnings and pandemic trends
- How will the game stop for the short squeeze?
- Markets drop as retail investors and hedge funds tangle
- A tale of two economies across income sectors.
- Markets near record highs, though valuation concerns loom
- Small business worries spread to the economy
- Will rising rates change the bond market climate?
- Cycle Watch: January 2021 – Stimulus returns
- Markets rally to start the year despite political turmoil
- Markets aim to begin 2021 similar to how 2020 ended
- Stocks go their own way in a turbulent economy
- Investor optimism around vaccines and stimulus may have peaked
- Stock valuations elevated as warning signs rise
- Cycle Watch: December 2020 – Post election progress
- Stimulus and vaccine optimism continue to drive markets
- Markets at record highs despite COVID-19 surge
- Strong November drives markets to record highs
- Post-election changes may shift consumer confidence
- Vaccine optimism outweighs economic concerns
- Economic recovery at a crossroads
- Vaccine optimism drives markets to record highs
- Voters emotionally invested in election results
- Cycle Watch: November 2020 – Recovery downshift
- Vaccine data pushes equities to record levels
- Investors get emotional as Election Day nears
- Investors head to the sidelines as the election looms
- Stimulus spending pushes government debt to record highs